Established in 1991, Jo-Anne Hilliar Landscape Designers enjoyed many successful years offering professional advice on landscaping and landscape design to domestic & corporate clients throughout South Africa and internationally, providing creative ideas to suit the needs and budget of the client & applying sound design principles to transform any garden into a lasting asset.
Landscaping projects handled during the previous 14 years have ranged from small private gardens to vast park-like expanses on island resorts and have incorporated a range of styles encompassing low maintenance, natural, tropical, indigenous, contemporary, and formal Victorian styles. Other specialized projects have included environmental rehabilitation of ecologically spoiled areas.
Jo-Anne's work has been recognized over the years in various ways and has won awards for excellence in the landscaping industry as well as for specific projects undertaken around South Africa. In brief:
- Award for honorary international exhibit at the 1995 Natal Witness Garden Show, designed in conjunction with her business associate David Stevens of the UK.
- Honorary award for exhibit at the 1996 Natal Witness Garden Show, entitled 'The Jungle Book'.
- Chairman of the 1997 Natal Witness Garden Show, overseeing the committee and general co-ordination of the show.
- 1997 SALI National Conference: Merit & Bronze awards for work produced nationwide.
- 2000 SALI National Conference: Silver award for excellence in the landscaping industry.
- 2002 SALI National Conference: Silver medal awarded for design & implementation of a project in the Albert Falls area as well as merit awards for two projects still in the development phase.
- 2003 SALI National Conference: Silver medal for the design of her own garden.
- 2004 SALI National Conference: Bronze Award for in-house design and construction for a private residence in the KZN Midlands.
- 2005 SALI National Conference: Silver Award for design and installation of a large garden in the KZN Midlands.
Jo-Anne is a Principal member of the South African Landscaping Institute (SALI), which sets and maintains quality standards for the industry nationally and also currently chairs the SALI KZN branch. Nationally, SALI has 149 members of which 75 are principal members. Only 14 of those 75 principal members operate in the KZN region. www.sali.co.za
Jo-Anne's international profile consists of training on the East and West Coasts of the USA with business associate and fellow trainer, Rob Littlepage, of the California School of Landscape Design as well as running courses on local shores with UK-based, internationally acclaimed landscape designer, David Stevens. There has been a substantial amount of interest in Jo-Anne's training portfolio shown by the landscaping institutes of the Middle-East.
Click here to view award winning plans and installations
Jo-Anne remains to be a high visual personality within the media and has had the benefit of a substantial amount of media exposure nationally, on both a personal and business level. Her work has been featured in most of the popular South African garden and home magazines as well as in local and national newspapers. In addition, she also assists various national magazines and newspapers by supplying feature articles written in-house. These cover a number of landscape design topics on a comprehensive level and have elicited much positive feedback.
Below is listed this media coverage:
- February 1996: The Sunday Tribune Finance supplement featured Jo-Anne as a Business Personality
- February 1996: Parks & Grounds magazine carried a detailed article of a major project designed and implemented by JH Landscaping cc. on Des
- Roches Island in the Seychelles.
- 1996: David Stevens and Jo-Anne were invited to participate in a BBC World
- Series International Broadcast for selected gardens around the world.
- 2002: Listed as one of the top 10 landscape designers in the country.
- Regularly featured on chat shows on SAfm national radio.
- The South African edition of Conde Nast 'House & Garden' has featured various projects handled by Jo-Anne's company.
- She enjoys a strong association with The Gardener magazine and supplies monthly feature articles.
- Her work and contributions have featured in Garden and Home , SA Gardening and Fairlady.
- Over the period of a year, the 'Independent on Saturday' newspaper (Durban) published a series of fortnightly articles written by Jo-Anne Hilliar devoted to gardening in South Africa, encouraging homeowners to develop their own styles by teaching basic garden and design principles.
In addition, over the years Jo-Anne has been invited as guest speaker to host talks / seminars for the general public and at numerous garden clubs around the country. These talks have covered a wide range of topics on landscape design and associated subjects.
Talks have always been well received around the country